Saturday, September 15

The Recount Continues...

We step back further back into the weekend... Certain unfamiliar terms just might have a helpful tooltip.

Getting tired of the mandatory half hourly sutta break, one complains, that not everyone present is a smoker, at which point an upstanding religious individual comes up with the genius idea to visit Bangla Sahib. Since one doesn't like to interfere with peoples' religious tendencies, and being outvoted by the rest of the group, one decides to visit the Mentor, the man who sowed the media seed in a very confused and depressed individual coming fresh out of the boards, very unsatisfactorily, and whose office happens to be on Barakhamba Road.
As two cars are filled up, one requires sustenance, particularly double mutton single egg kathis with hazelnut coffee from the aptly named 'The Kathis' in GK. As none of the occupants are rather unaware of how to get to CP, one leads the way to India Gate and begins circling it, looking for the KG Marg turning. One full circle later, it is discovered that the roads around India Gate have obviously changed their names since the last time one visited CP. Discovering the kathi on hand to be rather excellent, one decides to concentrate on it, expecting the rest of the occupants to find the turning, without being told to do so.
So begin the three slow circles of India Gate, with one concentrating far more on the kathi on hand than the road, giving it nothing but a token glance, if only to avoid hitting the car in front, and to keep moving in a circle, as opposed to turning onto the wrong street. All this while being informed by
JD Fortune about how he'd like certain hot girls to ruin his life and whatnot. Halfway into the third circle, one realizes that there is a long line of cars moving equally slowly, honking and cursing, as are the occupants of the car, and the upstanding religious individual on the other side of the phone call. Going up the central road instead, and turning onto Central Secretariat, the route one assumes also leads to CP, one finishes the remnants of the hazelnut coffee on hand.
Upon reaching CP, one receives a phone call from the upstanding religious individual, as the latter's car seems to have misplaced the former's.
So begin the seven slow rounds of inner circle, pointing out the various landmarks the various occupants of the two cars can see, including, a suspicious number of times, the office of India Today. Much ranting and screaming(on the part of Sweaty, whom some of you may remember, who had to visit a toilet ASAP) and weeping(on the part of sutta break caller, who had consumed the majority of a rather potent green chilly) and cursing, including the most vile swear one is known to fling at upstanding religious individual, Indira Gandhi, which is not to say that one has anything against her, rather admires her immensely. The swear is only akin to that used by Trey Parker and Matt Stone's characters in invoking the name of Barbara Streisand. Either way, once all of the niceties were done with, arbitrary India Today office spotter came up with the commendably brilliant idea that one stop the car at the Palika Parking and wait for upstanding religious individual to catch up.

Needless to say, neither car was able to find a parking spot close to the other. Finally, one car was placed on the ground level, and the other, somewhere in the lower basement. A fact even more needlessly obvious, not one individual managed to remember where either car was parked once the three hours the cars were left there had passed.

24 comments:

DreamCatcher said...

and I thought I was 'direction-challenged' ! :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to have some of this food that seems so intoxicating.

CrazyDiamond said...

hehehe....nice. India gate and that old delhi part is such a maze (no pun intended) that I always dreaded and still do going to any random place through it...freakin lutyen!

and those kathi's ....yummmmmm

Pri said...

wtf is double mutton?

Anki said...

round round round baby round round

india gate is solely responsible for half my fuel consumption
:D

Anonymous said...

I almost feel sorry for the "upstanding religious individual"....the magic word here being...ALMOST. I miss all of that, India gate, meandering streets, reminds me of the time when me and a friend had the bright idea to walk to CP from India Gate. Yeah, I know. I'm a genius.

LostLittleGirl said...

Oh, I miss Cp..the number of times I got lost looking for something or the other.

Utopia said...

hahahahah! "round and round the garden like a teddy bear" naaaaaaaaa thats inept. your descriptions of the finer things in life, food for instance makes my mouth water. sigh! i love those kathi rolls. and cp is like a crystal maze, i get confused all the time :|.

Spider42 said...

ah.. i remember the various occassions ive been crawling circles round india gate.. even recall one incident with 2 smoked out friends, looking for the modern art museum, which as you may know is blatantly marked with a big sign! ended up in khan market and then somewhere else entirely! didnt really care, made for a good story to tell..
this whole renaming of roads in delhi is really a piss-off, dont understand the logic (if there is any)
you lead an amusing life my friend, i must say.. when i get back to delhi (whenever the hell that is!), mayhaps we should hang out and see what randomness ensues..
cheers..

Renovatio said...

@dreamcatcher
Oh I know my way around town, it's just that part of town I'm none too familiar with.

@hrundi
Nothing stopping you man, nothing stopping you.

@crazydiamond
Hey at least you get a story out of it eh?

@pri
Well twice the regular serving of mutton. They have single double chicken/paneer and all that too.

@anki
Ah, well I don't go there that often.

@anony
Oh they don't meander, they do anything but meander. They swoon.

@lostlittlegirl
I suspect I'm just getting started.

@utopia
Everyone who has ever eaten has in them a love for kathis. The only thing I put higher stock by is butter chicken. I have plans to experiment with a mutton variation of the same.

@dude
So they really did change the names of the roads. I thought I was just imagining that to be completely honest. Isn't the modern art museum on Hanuman/Humayun road? Let me know when you do get here, we'll brood much and we'll brood true my friend.

wiseling said...

haha.. fun times indeed. it is lunch time and you've made me hungry.. oh what i would do for some kathi roll right now.... sigh.

Anonymous said...

My ex wife works in CP. I used to go mad trying to find her days I went to visit her. Though incidentally we did once go to Bangla Sahib right before having kathis and hazelnut coffee at The Kathis. This was shortly before we got married and I discovered what a heinous bitch she really was!

Spider42 said...

ah yes... a good brood session is something ive been missing.. random conversation on topics that most people wouldnt even think of, odd notions... sounds like my kinda plan. with any luck i should be back in town within a month, and i promise youll be among the first to know..
oh, and im still not too sure which road its on exactly..
cheers..

Renovatio said...

@wiseling
I had kathis again just now :D
Unfortunately they ran out of mutton after my first two :(

@yet another
Wow, a little respect for the woman you married man?

@dude
Hanuman and Humayun road are two different roads man... Just found out. Reminds me of the time I was on Hanuman road and these little priest-lings and nun-lets coming out of a convent saw me in an auto and started hailing me as the punju messiah... Sister, Jee-jhus! Jee-jhus!

wiseling said...

I had Indian food for lunch. Butter chicken and kaali daal. So yay. One is less jealous of your kathi-roll-ness.

twip said...

Double mutton single egg kathi's.

I want.

Now.

*wails*

twip said...

And squee! The small font is back!

Revealed said...

@wiseling and r: You guys make me sick! Going around eating kathis and butter chicken. Like whatever. See if I care! *goes away muttering about cold sandwiches and even colder maggi noodles and some people's lunches*

Renovatio said...

@wiseling
The initial plan was to have butter chicken, but until Chef Renovatio dons the cape of mad chef and experiments with butter mutton, mutton pangs must be answered by those kathi fellows. I do believe I'll be causing a dip in the chicken population sometime tomorrow though.

@her prod-iness
I wanted more actually, I'd only had some maggi and a few parathas in the two hours during pre-dinner before dinner, but I suppose we went a little two late, as I had to make do with two double chicken single egg ones to satiate my hunger completely. Much hazelnut coffee was consumed.

@flafflet
Yes yes, claim you don't care, but care not, not, you insult my beloved butter chicken.
Who said maggi was bad? Add some scrambled eggs or keema to it, and voila, maggi-ey(the suffix was to make it more pretentious)

catmiester said...

CP is just about the most confusing area of Delhi.

Sympathize with ure confusion

Anonymous said...

Baby ive told u so many times, just go right at central secretariat, and straight from there, and ur at janpath. U still owe me lunch at saravana bhawan ;)

Spider42 said...

"priest-lings and nun-lets"?
hahahahahahaha!!!
thanks man, i really needed that...

I love Lucy said...

All the food-talk just made me want to eat something nice pronto!

Nice :)

Renovatio said...

@catmeister
I may figure it out yet.

@neets
Yes yes, I know, I used that route didn't I? It got me there.

@dude
We aim to please.

@lucy-lover
I'm whipping together something delicious as we speak. Well, write.