Friday, September 28

Heart and body, mind and soul... (part 2)

First off, I saw the Visa ad again, it's actually Mind and body, heart and soul. My bad.

We rejoin our motley crew sprawled across the mattresses in the other room, after having succumbed to paratha power. India Today Office Spotter had fired up some random tennis game and was losing to Federer, when he remembered cricket. This was the first sign. He replaced the tennis game with a cricket one, and started playing as India. Not so Hungry Sir Sleep-a lot called out play pakis, which we all silently acknowledged. At this point Ralph suddenly called out War! Huh!... Yeah... What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! It wasn't a number I had saved, so I handed it to the Upstanding Religious Individual. I wasn't sure why I'd kept Ralph with me that day, he just rang and rang and pissed me off all day. I had to remember to dump him on JD when I got home. Calling Ralph however, turned out to be the religious one's mamu, Mamu.
Mamu wanted to watch the match on a large screen in CP, with the company of alcohol, and all of us being of empty wallets were inclined to decline. When Mamu offered to foot the bill, we all screamed out We love Mamu! and got up. Sutta Break Caller and myself needed to answer vicious bowel movements, but couldn't do so at the residence of the office spotter, as there was no water, so we told the other idiots to get to TGIF and grab a table, while we went to my house. There was still a good hour and fifteen minutes before the match was to start, more than adequate time for them to get there, although my stomach was complaining a little more audibly.
I got home in record time. My beloved Silver Zen, Aurelia, made me proud.
My bowel buddy got a bit shy and clenched when we got to my place, as my mother had reached home by this point. As I attended to my woeful stomach, he managed to get himself and the office spotter an invite for a home cooked dinner after the match, which he was only too happy to oblige to. Having finally set out for CP, I stopped off at my beloved Pushpanjali gas station, the one next to The Grand, and while I filled my tank, the smoker went into the Acha lagta hai store and fetched me one of those canned Nescafe cold coffees I like to drink while driving. With a good forty-five minutes on our hands to get to CP, I of course, took fifty-five, having taken a wrong turn at some point and winding up at Gol Market, where I took another wrong turn and wound up at Karol Bag. At this point the religious one texted to check if we were near, and we replied back with our orders of Guiness and Kingfisher, with Mozerella Sticks. Having finally reached and deposited my beloved Aurelia in the Palika parking at a nice open spot, and memorizing that spot, we
got lost two more times, once winding up near India Today, and the second time at India Today. Wait a second... We finally reached TGIF, getting ready to bypass the giant crowd as my reliable buddies would've got us a nice snug table fairly close to the screen, only to find them standing outside with Mamu.
Now Mamu's fairly fond of me, each of the last four times he's come down to Delhi to visit, I've gone along to pick him up from the airport, all the while singing the Mamu song with the religious one from Munnabhai.
Mamu rushed ahead to meet me before I could wring the religious one's neck and explained how they'd decided to check Ruby Tuesday instead, but managed to get lost
in the giant expanse that is Inner Circle. What they quite wisely forgot to mention to me was that they could've written down their name at TGIF and gotten seated in a mere 15 minutes, but the religious one insisted that Ruby Tuesday would be empty, on the day of a world cup final.
We spent the next hour approaching every nice bar, every lousy bar, every shady bar, and eventually every coffee house to get to see the match. To calm Mamu down, I periodically checked the score on Ralph, who's capable of providing me with the internet. Finally, we relegated ourselves to watching the last few overs of India's batting at Wimpy's, surrounded by equally pissed off people picking at their shitty food which they had purchased just to get a seat at a place with the match on. My two (undeserving) dinner guests and I then left to catch the last couple of overs at home, and upon entering the Palika parking, promptly forgot where I'd left Aurelia, all alone, in the dark. For a few seconds an image of myself running around wildly pushing her buttons (not again!) the central locking's button yes, that joke got old last time until she called out to me flashed through my mind, but I quickly subdued the image and hopped over the barrier to where I hoped was sure I'd left her.
About forty five minutes, hour, many arguments about the music, and a few more cans of cold coffee later (the HP next to Khan has them too), we were speeding down the home stretch of Nelson Mandela and got in with enough time to spare to catch the last six frantic overs. There was much screaming, hissing, booing, and cursing, followed by abject depression, when Misbah quite arrogantly got on his knees to deliver a last pelvic thrust six and win the match, when our Mallu fielder got under there and won us our first world cup in over a quarter of a century. Much, much, much screaming and jumping and shrieking like little girls war crying in a manly, testosterone-filled way later, we sat back down to catch Dhoni a la paunch take off his shirt and put it on some kid, who I'll assume he knew, after which the camera shifted to a rather confused Shahrukh Khan a la scary abs
fiddling with his own camera.
The rest of the evening (with JD suspiciously absent, even though I managed to leave Ralph behind for him, HA!) involved a mother-cooked dinner of khatti-meethi daal, bhindi, and pyaaj pulao, with much tattling-on-Renovatio. We then spent a little while making a CD for Adelina, Aurelia's music system, from office spotter's laptop, into which he quite slyly snuck in some Justin Timberlake, Mika and Akon, along with a few dozen Punjabi tracks. He did however, manage to put in at least one song I wanted, Chunbawamba's only known number, which provides much sing-along fodder. I do suspect he made that CD more for his own listening while on the road with me, but I will candidly admit I've been trying to sing along with Mika.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chunbawamba FTW!!! ;) tubthumping is such an old song... but it's still good, lol... been a long time since I heard it, though...

Pri said...

okay first of you're going to the wrong petrol bunk. think mcc. ask for umesha.

next that chumbawamba saong, is it kissing the night away or pissing the night away. ive always wanted to know.
they had one more song which i liked a lot. she's got all the friends her money could buy she's the apple of her daddy's eye or something.
and pecos? thu ninna. i cant believe that place is still open.

CrazyDiamond said...

haha....match watchin in CP and not getting a place...I know how that feels. This freakin country refuses to relay cricket...thankfully the great pirated race that is the internet helps...been looking it up on youtube...finally I say!

Anonymous said...

"I get knocked down but i can only get, you never gonna keep me down"
(Totally outta tune, but loving it) :)

I have to admit i didn't see any more of the match than you did but then i had work to blame :(

AakASH!!! said...

Chumbawumba was the highlight. :)

Chrisann said...

remember the GRID?
yuck @ MIKA

iz said...

I like the fact that you're 'correct enough to put 's' in brackets after individuals. Are you a punctuation freak too? And btw, I'm looking for something worse than pink but can see only a classy black....

iz said...

Accha, I sound quite pyshco, because I answer someone elses comment on your blog. Sorry about that. Still meant the fisr bit though.

I love Lucy said...

Chumbawumba ?? Err ok moving on.

Ruby Tuesday in Delhi? Never knew.

The match...hmmm...good stuff!Wonder whats in store tomorrow though with the 3 biggies back in the team.

Naming your zen Aurelia..I so like!

*Admonishing self and making pact with self to never visit your blog just before lunch/dinner time so as to avoid sever hunger pangs.*

Unknown said...

Chumbawumba!

Crikey, I YouTubed it too.

Uh hunh.

Renovatio said...

@anty
Oh right, the song was Tubthumping. It's quite hilarious, and always gets me to sing along. The one endearing quality of the song is that it's so boisterous, one can't hear their own self sing it. Which can only be a good thing.

@pri
Mcc? You're going to have to give me directions to that one.
Pissing the night away. Although admittedly, up until a few years ago, well when the song actually was regularly played, I thought she went 'Kissing is my way'. Tramp!
Pecos?

@crazydiamond
Oh I'm not much of a cricket fan myself, sms updates from Mamu on the way home and catching the last couple of overs was quite sufficient. Although mozerella sticks and a can of Guiness never hut anyone.

@doppleganger
But I get up again, actually.

@ol' excitable
That's a shame, I thought I'd written out something decent here.

@chrisann
I wish I could forget them dear.

@iz
I don't force people around me to fix their own punctuation par se, although I do refuse to acknowledge texts sent to me 'dat snd lk dis'.
Not crazy at all, in fact when I open up a number of blogs and their comment windows together, I end up forgetting if I commented on someone's blog if they have the comment moderation thingie enabled.

@lucy-lover
Well there's on in Saket, though I get the feeling now that CP doesn't have one. I must kill someone over this.
As far as the food thing goes, can't help you there. I may start sharing recipes though. :p

@womby
You know you love it :p

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock said...

so i just youtubed chumbawumba( i had never heard of it b4 )
but now they can add me to the list .....they are good ..........tubthumping.........shaking my head like a punk an dancing (after checking that no ones looking).....
and adelina ......i love the name ........

Mystique said...

adelina and aurelia....
hmmm....
interesting it is, and so art thou...(grumble...must i sound like such a fkin flirt when im far from it..) but yes, you're interesting....all people are
dyamn u read a lot of blogs...i totally cant be bothered to edit my html all the time to put in blog links.
maybe i should name my moto-liablity. any suggestions?

Pri said...

off not of

sorry i meant wimpys not pecos.

let me try again
and wimpys?? thu ninna. i cant believe that place is still open.

the petrol bunk near mcc

Anonymous said...

doppElganger not dopplEganger!

AakASH!!! said...

Yes dude you did. But arent you used to all that taareef-shaareef and all.

So was just pointed out what made my read different. :)

Sig said...

heheh chumbwumba brings back memories...aahhh :P heheh half the time we didn't get back up :P

Spider42 said...

sounds like some day...
personally never been a cricket fan, but have seen this kinda madness in finding a place to go during f1 season.. ah the good old days..
i still like tubthumping.. not a brilliant or groundbreaking number, but any song that talks so much about booze and has "pissing the night away.." repeatedly as its main lyrics is ok in my books... :)
i really liked the line about "war crying in a manly, testosterone-filled way later" cracked me up man!
and i have such fun news! i get to go home in a few weeks! woo-hoo! back to my own sweet dilli!
anyhow, catch you later, keep posting!
cheers..

Spider42 said...

...oh yeah! i forgot to add!
mika rules! sawaan mein lag gayi aag!
could you BE any cooler?!
:D

snowroses said...

Chagrined musings of an ex-lady killer? What's that supposed to mean? Blech~~ :P

Revealed said...

Ooooh love tubthumping (AND she's got all the friends, pri). Haven't had my mum's dal in i dunno how long. Sigh.

Renovatio said...

@bluebutterfly
They're ancient. I think you and I and the various people who acknowledged them here are the last remaining members of their dying fan club.
I also love the music system, hence her getting a name I love :p

@mystique
No, not flirting at all. Swooning perhaps, which is acceptable. You will be added to the sidebar asap.
Motorolas are useless. Obnoxious bloody razrs they make. I'll recommend a name like Pappu or Bunty.

@pri
Well thank ye cricket gods it's open, we wouldn't have gotten to see the match otherwise. And really, what is a petrol bunk?!?

@doppelganger
My sincerest apologies. I shall hang my head in shame for the rest of the evening.

@aakash
Yes yes, of course-ness, I was merely being melodramatic.

@silvara
But it's the other half that counts dear, the times you did :)

@dude
Man, I stay away from cricket like the plague. But when it's India and Paki playing, I have to watch. I've always watched big India and Paki matches.
Not that Mika mind you, the other, even more annoying one, who can sing as high as James Blunt. Yes, I have tried to sing along with him. I shall hang my head in shame even lower now.

@stargazer
I'm a convicted serial killer. I've done my time and have been reformed now, but oh, the good old days...
Basically I'm close to the sexiest thing alive, the sexiest would be if they cloned me and changed my xx chromosome to xy. Yes, a female me. But the fact is, while I retain the outright sexy, I don't play the game much anymore.

@flaffy
You can shout out with it, regardless of how badly you sing. Any song you can do that with is worth mentioning! :D

Mystique said...

swooning?
u've GOT to be kidding me.
i do this to most guys....
my little moto-liablity ain't all that bad, it's a krzr, wud hav prefered a nokia but wat to-do...
will prefer not to name it.
moto-liablity is fine by me.
u use blogroll 4 ur sidebars or do u go thru the whole process of editing html?

JugHead said...

Very profound.

Utopia said...

i was quite the confused adolescent when chumbawumba(whatever the spelling might be) came out with the song and i remember the funny video and two words at the end of the chorus sounded something like danny boy and that chick with that obnoxious shrill voice sang that part heheh!!

yeah it was so difficult finding some place to watch the match. we finally settled on morrison and even danced on the bar stools after India won heheeh!

DreamCatcher said...

someone's having fun...beyond the black eye that is :)

twip said...

khatti-meethi daal, bhindi, and pyaaj pulao

ARGH. Why do you do this? How do you manage to make me homesick in every post of yours? Hmpf!

Anonymous said...

Excellent. The last month saw a lot of blogging from you. I hope that doesn't mean you're going to take a month off for each post you made? We all do enjoy reading you.

Pri said...

a petrol pump and a petrol bunk are the same thing in bangalore. jeez! where are you from?

Utopia said...

renovatio where have ya vanished? i tagged ya. check out my space :).

Chris said...

Hello, you have a wonderful blog, but I can't find your email address, can you please contact me at linkexchange@edenfantasys.com? I have something to discuss with you
Regards, Chris
(Please can you delete this comment after your decision?)

Spider42 said...

be not ashamed dear boy, we all do strange things but its only by making asses of ourselves do we learn not to do it again! :D

Renovatio said...

@mystique
I do take advantage blogger's option to do it for you, leaving you with the simple task of feeding in urls.

@tintin
Assuredly so.

@utopia
At least you got somewhere better than wimpys :(
And that tag will be answered. Eventually.

@dreamcatcher
What black eye?

@her prod-iness
See this post didn't have much food mentioned in it, so I will admit. I only did that to induce much stomach gurgling.

@yet another
Will do.

@pri
Not Bangalore.

@chris
Not happening, dude.

@dude
I'm with you there man. Though there's something about Mika's annoying voice that makes me want to sing along. Despite my own voice being several octaves lower.

Mystique said...

where where is that option?
ps im sick of u not posting hmph.