Tuesday, September 25

Heart and body, mind and soul... (part 1)

What a day.
It began with awareness. I found myself in the college parking lot. The sounds of Apocalyptica from the speakers, and the smell of FCUK wafting off my freshly ironed shirt as my Beloved Silver Zen eased into her parking spot. She let out a contented sigh, followed by a bit of a jealous growl from her engine as she caught me peeking at the swanky new Accord we had parked next to. I was waiting for the last few notes of Inquisition Symphony to play out before I killed the ignition, when Ralph, my socially inept cell phone started buzzing with excitement. Now Ralph had a bit of an accident at the Nokia factory, due to which he was unable to speak. He could only beep and vibrate for lack of coherent sentences, or else he could sing entire songs out to me. He could also display words across his outer face. Ralph had a troubled youth, and so devised a 'clamshell' existence, where he hid his true face to all but those he trusted most, and showed his outer face to the world. At this point, his outer face was indicating that Upstanding Religious individual was trying to get in touch with me. I was informed that I need not climb the stairs to class, as there was none, rather I ought to join him and Visiting Student at the panwaari outside the Sainik Farms gate. Maneuvering my most Beloved Silver Zen out the long winding trafficky straight road, I joined them outside, and was intercepted by another classmate of mine, Hungry Sir Sleep-a-lot, and the lot of us decided to drop by at the residence of Arbitrary India Today office spotter, as none of us had the required credit in our phones to check if he was home.
Once we had been let in by a rather cheap sycophantic room mate, we found our dear office spotter curled in a fetal position sleeping softly and soundly on his mattress, under a motionless fan. Finding that rather adorable, we proceeded to shake the crap out of gently and play loud music close to his ears softly nudge him awake. The religious one, easily fascinated by shiny objects, ducked into an adjoining room to identify the source of blue light emanating from the floor of the (almost) pitch black room, and tripped over a passed out napping Sutta Break Caller, though not before discovering the blue light to come from a tiny laptop mouse. After bodily hauling the tired smoker to the room we were in, only to discover me now apparently passed out on the mattress next to the one our office spotter was on. Before any spooning cuddling teamwork-in-sleep could take place, we were all woken up by Ralph giving us a hearty rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't she lovely," the ringtone I had set for the butt ugly 'charming' but annoying department secretary who calls us individually on our phones to give us new instructions regarding class over the days to come. This was cue for the rest of the occupants of the two mattresses to pull out their own phones and turn them all off, while I answered the phone in my sick voice. Realizing I had already been to college and wasn't putting off showing up there, I resumed my regular voice and reassured her that I would be unable to turn in my script as I was still at the observations stage. I also informed her that I had absolutely no clue as to where the rest of the class was, the fact that more than half of it was in the room as we were speaking notwithstanding.
Here began a period of forced tranquility, During which the five of us uncomplicatedly lay on the mattresses in a pattern resembling those funky optical illusions, each thinking of the same thing, each with the same yearning, each with the same question on our minds: What the hell are we gonna eat, and when are we gonna eat it?
The silence was finally interrupted with a great rumble from the stomach of Sir Sleep-a-lot, in answer of which I hopped up and very in-your-face-ed-ly exclaimed "See? I told you so! We need to get some food right now. I'm tired of telling you guys."
Five frantic minutes passed, where we turned the entire room inside out looking for the keys to Beloved Silver, only to find them perched atop the fridge, leaning precariously into a wall. Rescuing the keys from a fate worse than death, office spotter and I then went down the stairs to get food. Pushing her buttons just the way she likes it the button to the central locking was rewarded with an enthusiastic toot-toot! from Beloved Silver. I then fired up the engine and enjoyed a few moments of cooing in that sexy voice of hers, and we were off, being informed on the way by the one hit wonders, The Vapors, about how they seemed to be inexorably "Turning Japanese."
Half an hour yielded 16 assorted parathas from the guy across Passion in Saket, which, clutched under my arm as I sprinted away from Beloved Silver, pushing the button for lock which was answered with a saddened toot toot [:( ], and up the stairs, only to toss the parathas at the religious one, while office spotter and I transferred the aloo sabjee to a suitable bowl. That first bite of gobhi paratha left my stomach grumbling, Oh shut up, I just want a paratha or few, which it was rewarded with. Once the coke arrived, in the arms of a cricket enthusiast delivery boy, we proceeded to top off our food orgy lunch with a little bubbly. The non-alcoholic high-on-pesticide variant. As we all began to succumb to a good-food induced coma, there was only one thing known for certain. The seed had been planted. The India-Pakistan match was going to have to be watched.

Alright, the plan was to write about the whole day, but I'm going to have to continue this later.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

My days are never this exciting... ;)

AakASH!!! said...

Classes? You studying?

Anonymous said...

hmmm..sounds like a day :)

Sig said...

Heheh first time stopping by and I'm glad I did :) What a day...and the match would have made it even better!

Spider42 said...

Dude! you have a zen too? thats hilarious, i have one in delhi too, cept mines this ancient one that is called papu the slasher (dont ask why, long story :P)
but i have to say this and dont take this the wrong way - mean it as a complement - youre blog reads kinda like a cooler, slightly trippy and my-kinda-random adrian mole journal...
and btw, im loving the corrections! nice touch!

??! said...

so the back is better?

Anonymous said...

You have a rare talent my friend, you can take something that happens to everyone, everywhere, and make it fun to relive through you. Fun to read, fun to remember. I love the way you're going with the blog, you're a fantastic writer, and I'm dying to see your work with a camera and edit bay on your other blog too.
Take care man.

I love Lucy said...

Great..now you made me want to eat gobi parathas and aloo subji like RIGHT NOW.
Why oh why do you do this huh?

That Armchair Philosopher said...

haha, do you anthropomorphize all your posessions? or just the electronic ones?

Anonymous said...

I'm always surprised how delicious that food sounds, even though I've never seen nor tasted any of those you describe.

Anonymous said...

*agrees with hrundi* I've never had Indian food, but it sure sounds good... ;P

wiseling said...

ha ha.. I also have a silver Zen, and I love him. His name is camel. :)

And really, you need to stop all this indian-food-talking-ness. one is envious and hungry and homesick all at once. sigh.

So, has your back sufficiently recovered?

And, what happened to scrabble?

Revealed said...

Wasn't the match perffffffffffffect??!! I'd have killed to have gobi parathas. All I had was one of my Finals 2 hours after the match finished. :(

Oh and much envy bout silver Zen-siren-lady. Sigh.

Oh oh and yayyy for rapid back recovery. :) :)

Utopia said...

hmmmmm reminded me of college and 5 of the best years of my life. sigh! :)

and i hate it when you describe all the scrumptious food that makes it sound even more delectable when deprived people like me are sitting in insipid environments like office for instance. wahhhhhhhhhh!

darn wasn't the match awesome! i must've died a thousand deaths in those few hours :).

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the post yet, but seeing the length is already making me smile... more to read.. yaaaaaaaaay-ness

Renovatio said...

@anty
You're missing out love, you really are.

@ol' excitable
Yes, my undergrad.

@chandni
No no, only half a day.

@silvara
Welcome, there's plenty to tell yet about the match too, that's coming.

@dude
Thanks, perhaps I can use this as a self-reflection thing when I'm old and gray, see where I went wrong :p Beloved Silver has a name too, it's Aurelia. :)

@the expletives
Oh, I tend to ignore things that annoy me, health-wise. Colds, fevers, sleepiness, cramps, bad stomach, all that. I just expect it to go away. It does.

@yet another
Thanks a ton, and yes, I will put some stuff on that other blog soon. Very soon. Very very soon.

@lucy-lover
Oh, only to torment you the better, that's why!

@philosophical one
Certain possessions, yes. I like to give them metrosexual names. Ralph is short for Raphael. My sunglasses are called Allisandro, and my vibrating Mach 3 Nitro razor is Raoul. At this point I realized I was going with Italian names, not necessarily metrosexual ones, so Beloved Silver needed one too, and I couldn't give her a man's name. Hence, Aurelia, as I have the same love for her as Caesar did for Aurelia, and I idolize her above all cars as Caesar did his mother above all women.

@hrundi
That offer's still open man, always will be.

@wiseling
How could you give a car a man's name? That's an insult! Cars need womens' names. I stand by the maxim that a woman can do anything a man can do, and do it better.
Except cook.
And drive. :D

Scrabble will happen when you say so, last time you were at work :p

@flafflet
Siren? I'd rather call Aurelia my muse. When I'm on the open road, or even the crowded one for that matter, the subtle hand movements on the steering that other cars would ignore or obey wildly, Aurelia gets. She responds smoothly and efficiently, and carries me at speeds no Zen should be capable of without shaking. I love my Aurelia.

@utopia
I've worked in offices before, you just have to befriend the cafeteria guy. At my old office, the guy used to bring me a bread roll or patty or something as soon as I got to work, with a glass of iced tea. The iced tea would find it's way on my desk every twenty minutes, without fail. He seemed to take my health and nutrition upon himself.

@doppleganger
Waiting to see what you have to say when you're done reading it :)

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock said...

damn i never thought boring days could be described in such a beautiful and ntresting wayz...........you have a talent to make things seem more intresting than they are and as for naming my stuff i havent ever done that but the account about your dear ralph ......thats was pretty great........and as for the gobbi ka parathas across from passion been there done that ...........they were good .......washed down with juice from teh adjacent little stall ...........

twip said...

How are you feeling? Is the back better?

And yo TAP, anthropomorphizing possessions is fun. Or slightly neurotic, but still fun. :)

Oh, and whats with the Italian names Mr.Saxyhawtness?

Pri said...

what have you been snorting? and again i have a headache.

Anonymous said...

part deux??????
one whole day gone and no part deux! :(

Mystique said...

grumble....another one of these people with too many comments....
Why Ralph?
Why is your phone named Ralph? why not....mrs Chatterjee?? (thats waht a cousin of mine once named her phone)

Renovatio said...

@bluebutterfly
Welcome, and thanks for the kind words. I'm going to have to try this juice wallah.

@her prod-iness
Oh it's just dandy now, back at the low throb it's been since I injured it all those months ago. I'll go to a gym and fix it up soon, just trying to out-food the metabolism first and put on a few kilos.
As far as Italian names go, Italians males are the singular most metrosexual people I've known that still manage to stay hetero. In fact it was due to an Italian that I managed to work the source of my vanity into such a lovely shine. He suggested the various products.

@pri
My sincerest apologies, I'll do a better job next time. Oh and I snort gumdrops and rainbows. The former leaves me feeling like Arnold in Total Recall, the latter like a leprechaun.

@doppleganger
Got a teensy bit caught up. Tonight or tomorrow night you shall have your update on the rest of the day.

@mystiqe
Welcome. You know what they say about people whose work is read by many... I mean I can't remember off the top of my head, but 'they' do say something. I mean 'they' have something to say about everything. In fact 'someone' once said 'something'. That someone guy can be a real smartass sometimes, can't he? Ralph's short for Raphael. I elaborated on that point in a comment that preceded yours, but for the benefit and empowerment of your lazy, I shall repeat it. A number of my possessions were named with formerly metrosexual, now wholly Italian names. The shades are Allisandro, and the razor's Raoul.

Chrisann said...

class
your car's a she?
would that make mine a she? or a he?
can i choose its gender?

??! said...

cars should be named Gaddi.
then if you're thin and take a night drive in only your underpants, you could call it "Adventures of Haddi in a Chaddi in a Gaddi".

Mystique said...

PJ alert to the comment above mine!!!!

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

You read Thomas Dibdin? Tell me about him, he has Been Recommended.

J.A.P.

Renovatio said...

@chrisann
Of course it's a she, anything that sexy is a she. Why do you think people refer to their boats as 'she'. Except motorcycles of course, they're a tad too manly.

@the expletives
Brilliant, I applaud thee.

@mystique
Indeed...

@jap
Will do my friend will do.