Thursday, January 3

A perfect night

Nine o'clock, gtalk was signed out of, the twisty-top of the stack of films was opened, and movie titles were being mulled over. Seven Samurai, Foreign Correspondent, and The King of Comedy, a Kurosawa, a Hitchcock, and a Scorsese. The perfect way to spend a quiet night at home. A glance at the clock, ten past nine, a quick grin, all alone tonight. Ralph buzzes, a mental note to turn him off, message from a new years eve plans threatener, 'cum 2 da blcny'. A flash of white-hot rage, followed by a near-orgasm at the sight in the parking lot. A black and red 1968 Mustang, with yellow racing stripes down the bonnet. Two lovely ladies with shiny hair and tiny skirts, and a tall man leaning against the vehicle. One of the ladies shouts out You can drive it if you come to Raghav's. How can one resist.
Twenty minutes, a shower and much hair product later, we're on the road. Stifling the pangs of guilt at abandoning Aurelia, we truly get down to testing this rugged vehicle. Ren, we need to name this, just finished restoring her. HIM. Him? It's not that manly. HIM. ANASTASIO. What was said next was incoherent as it was a cacophony of squealing and complaining as Anastasio went from 40 to 150 in about five seconds. For the record, Anastasio is an Italian form of the Latin 'Anastacius', Resurrection.
At Raghav's, deep in the bowels of Noida, was a motley collection of some rather close friends of mine who I don't see often enough, mostly due to the fact that they live and work in Noida. After a round of hugs and introductions to some of the unknown faces, I was being led to the bar, when I heard a deep, throaty, sexy laugh. When I turned to find the source of the laughter, I was flashed with one of the widest, most genuine smiles I'd seen in a while, and those same lips moved to say something. I moved a little closer as I'd missed what she said, taking in what I wa
s seeing. Long, naturally straight, shiny hair, one of the most beautiful faces I had ever seen, and the most perfect curves on a five foot eleven inch tall frame. I like your ear ring, said that throaty voice, with a bit of an accent like mine. My name's Seher.
It isn't often that I'm at a loss for words, but this encounter was one of those rare occasions. Seher came across immediately as hugely confident, witty in a deep, thought-inducing way that wasn't immediately apparent to people not familiar with that sort of wit, and an overall awareness of all of her traits. In essence, in a very immodest sense, a female version of me. She had also been blindsided by love on numerous occasions, including a very recent, massive heartbreak caused by the object of her affection suddenly walling her off, and yet retained faith in love, and believed that her soul mate was out there. While a majority of men over the years, and evidenced at the party itself, had found her height intimidating, I found myself increasingly referring to her height, a mere five inches less than my own as 'cute', which would cause her to flash one of those unforgettable smiles my way each time.
As the night wore on, we shared more of ourselves, finding a common love for cooking (and eating), merengue, and white roses, and she did at one point mention how she wanted to learn to belly dance, my single most favorite form of dance in
the civilized world. We both sucked, quite terribly, at any form of non-coupley dance we attempted, and appreciated the same beer, Guiness, but drink very little of it, drink very little at all. Also, as I had formerly (quite incorrectly) assumed, I was the only person left who hadn't ever smoked a puff of anything in my life, she was right there with me, for the exact same reasons; never saw the point.
At around ten to twelve, the two of us decided to get some fresh air, and went up to the roof. As it was approaching midnight, and subsequently, new years, we decided to stay upstairs and share the moment alone. Contrary to what popular culture would leave you believing, we had a far more fulfilling new years moment; an amazingly long hug. Oblivious to the world, all phones calls, all shouting out of our names from below, we held each other for a good twenty minutes, before going back downstairs to continue the night.
As I've neglected to mention, she was the cousin of one of the guys there, a fellow whose decisions I haven't always agreed with, but have gotten along famously with his parents. Seher had just finished her undergrad in Denver and was spending a few months in town, considering looking for a year's worth of work experience here. She was to spend another month and a half at the very least anyway, a month and a half over which I would no doubt get to spend more time with her, so she said. Unfortunately, fate tends to have plans contrary to your own.
Around three in the morning, her dad called in from Denver, to tell her that his dad had died sometime in the last few hours, and that she had to get back there by an 8:30AM flight. Her cousin was far too drunk to take her home, so I offered to, another chance to give Anastasio a spin. We spent about half an hour there, while Seher packed, and I pretty much ignored her aunt and uncle, who later told me, when I went back there to apologize the next day, that they had considered introducing Seher to me at some point, as they thought we'd get along well. Leaving the house,
the two of us stopped by at the Grand for an overpriced breakfast, as it was the coffee shop closest to the airport open at this time, and we were both pretty famished. We had also pretty much stopped saying much by this point, though I can imagine we both still had a lot to say.
Finally, at the airport, she refused to go in, choosing to stay at the separator bars at departure, holding my hands until about the last possible minute, when she gave me another perfect hug, a light peck on my cheek, and another of those smiles of hers, that reached well into her eyes.
I'm probably not going to see her again before July, from her email, but she did send me this little South Park character of me, knowing how much I love the show.

57 comments:

Sam said...

sometimes u find the closest of friends in a crowd of strangers!! Life is like that gives you wonderful gifts when u least expect it.. and then make you yearn for it.. terribly!!!

Espèra said...

Met your soulmate, have you?
And you're like, 6'4" then!?!?

ANC said...

It takes strength to retain faith in love even after it has turned its back on you. Cheers to her! Luck to you! :)

Mystique said...

aaaaaaaaah......
how beautiful....

Mihir Pathare said...

Man I'm so jealous. My fairytale story like that never worked out. :(

Anonymous said...

twenty minutes? hugging? twenty? some serious arm aches are happening just thinking about it. wittull reno in wuvvve.

Anki said...

fine here i am

u r supposed to fuckin kisssssss

one night only
cmon


now forget her ...get over her... n stop romanticising something that might have been but is not

oh fuck it i want my anti-christ back!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

But if you keep in touch with her, doesn't that change the perfection? She could have rage black-outs or something for all you know, and you're only setting yourself up to find out later, if you don't retain a one-night-only thing. Anki's right, you ought to have kissed her, and forgotten all about her.

lemon said...

wow! i've always wanted to meet someone randomly like that and get along with them..why on earth am i so antisocial?

love the way you write by the way.. :)

I love Lucy said...

Serendipity is what it is.

A long hug? Cute!

Anonymous said...

So if this is how you spent your new years eve, it is a good sign of things to come... hope you do make that 'serendipitous' one night into a regular one post july :P
Almost called you on 1st Jan but wasn't quite sure you'd wanna hear from me...anyways, have a great one ahead.
Loads of love and luck, D

Anonymous said...

And it just occured to me that her name is quite a match with yours...

Anonymous said...

Niicceee... this is the stuff movies are made of!

Two exceptionally tall non-smokers who like to hug (oral hygiene must be something you both are extremely particular about!). So, wait for July and save up for super-expensive breakfasts! ;)

DreamCatcher said...

this is the cutest thing i have read in a while...!

??! said...

You have got permission to use her name on an open forum?

The Keeper of the Keys said...

ah..the hug was only just a hug...coz none of you were drunk enough...

five_silver_rings said...

Strangers in the night... exchanging glances,
Wondering in the night
What were the chances...

I am going to agree with Anki... u were supposed to f-ing kiss her!!

Ur story seems straight out of a romance novel, left unfinished (if u know what I mean).
Sigh, u gave me goosebumps man!

Love the way u describe ur evenings, afternoons and well, ur strangers ;)

Renovatio said...

@sam
Well in this case, I found a great friend in amidst a crowd of friends. Is that better?

@awaiting
Perhaps, time will tell. I'm not entirely certain, I'm somewhere between 6'3" and 6'5".

@blue
Welcome! Absolutely, and I loved that she could.

@mystique
Was it, now?

@taurius
Man, do you want to find her and lose her right away too or something? That's some masochistic fairytale.

@scoutypoo
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Not quite, as far as arm cramps go though, we kind of fit into each other.

@anki
She and I are part of a minute minority who find hugs far more fulfilling. Also, she did tell me later that she preferred the hug :p
And here you tell me to forget her, but you want that tall dude back. Hypocrite.

@yet another
I don't do one night onlys

@lemonade
Welcome! It'll happen, trust me. Oh and thanks, do drop by more :p

@lucy-lover
Ask me again in July :p

@anon
Wait, doesn't Seher mean morning walk or something? Main seher ke liye jaa raha hoon.

@vanilla syrup
I actually did write a script about this when I got home. Didn't have a 'romantic' shootable script on hand.

@dreamcatcher
I'm sure I can pull off cuter :p

@the expletives
Since there's only one Seher in the entire world, yes?

@lostweasley
Perhaps, but I get the feeling it would've still been just a hug.

Renovatio said...

@five silver rings
Refer to the reply to Anki.
Thanks, always nice to hear some appreciation :)

Jaguar Paw said...

Wow, very nice blog. I usually hate blogs where people talk about about their personal lives, coz really, who gives a shit ?! Very, VERY rare exception......

;)

Anonymous said...

What I think your ex was trying to tell you is that Seher means early morning, or dawn. I do wonder why you wouldn't want to hear from her, as she puts it, I love talking to my ex wife on new years so I can reinstate my hatred for her and remind her about just how much she ruined my life.

My apologies for assuming you'd have a one night stand, it's the 'in' thing, apparently.

Anonymous said...

thats so beautiful i hope she decides 2 come back early and be with u.

risha; said...

I'd hate to be the cynic here; but I'd have stayed in for Kurosawa.

There's only so much (do pardon my language)mindfucking I can handle (especially on new year's eve).
And that, m'dear; was a royal mindfuck.

Australis said...

Awwwwww how very sweet. Barf-worthy almost. And I hate all you tall people. At 5'3", I am yet to find a nice-looking guy who thinks my tiny height is cute and not dwarfish.

Anonymous said...

omg

Occasional Brilliance said...

[:O] hw come iv nvr had a day lk that?!!!

Vapid said...

Who the fuck cares if you had a perfect new years or not? God fucking damn it I'm sick to death of arrogant, self-obsessed, insecure roaches like you who feel the need to convey every fucking bowel movement to the soul less bored anonymous public at large.
Go fuck a fruit and then get a job you walking quarter-life crisis. I mean come on, you're probably closer to 30 than 20 and you feel the need to validate your life by talking about random chicks who clearly leave the fucking country the same night they meet you. She just wanted a quick shag you jackass. I'm glad you left a picture of yourself there, that way if I ever see you on the road I can come up to you and kick you in the fucking balls.

Vapid said...

You give a fucker 4000 profile views here and he thinks he owns the world. Renovatio? Mihi quoque? Get over yourself you pretentious fuck, no one cares about you. It's no wonder you're single, I'm sure no one can fucking stay around you for longer than a minute before barfing. Or trying to kick your gay little ass.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, huh, finding somebody like that? Not that I can lay claim to anything of the sort ever having happened to me.
Thanks for stopping by btw, but I regret to inform you that using the balls-in-cold-water technique as a wake up call does NOT count as a rush, mate!

kyamaloom said...

You write pretty good. *impressed*

Wonderful space you've got here, would surely turn back for more.:)

Mystique said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mystique said...

2 vapid:
you don't care.....but my dear if you truly don't care then why even comment???
yes if you have any more of these strong "why should we care" feelings left, come over to my blog, it'll sicken you even more than reno's does.......
and yes, people care.

Zee said...

wo...........i thought this was fiction........coolness!!!!

CrazyDiamond said...

sweet...a mustang and a dreamy girl you met on the balcony on new years eve...

This sounds very James Bondish dear Reno....very.

Although bond wouldn't hug for 20 minutes so a little reality there.

Cyclops said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Keeper of the Keys said...

@vapid--u really are, aren't you? Vapid? If no one cares about how perfect this guy's evening was, then why do you?
maybe you shouldn't have been 'bored and anonymous'..

Anu said...

Tis 2:38 am and im actually readin this stuff.
reason nuff.
one of those stay n read posts eh.liked the flow ov it.
PS i found the title truly amazin for some reason.

Anu said...

And morning walk is saer, without an h.
seher means breeze or somethin i guess.
PS darn,the vapid person must really hate yoo.

Keshi said...

OMG Im so jealous cos she scored a hunk!

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

i hate blogger. it sent my comment to soon. i meant to type out whet keshi wrote, that your seher totally scored a hunk!
you dont know me but ive been reading you for a while now, and i enjoy every post, and have come to feel very close to you through your writing. thank you for sharing yourself and your writing with us.

Espèra said...

"Who the fuck cares if you had a perfect new years or not?"

Vapid, the fact that he got 40 odd comments on this particular post obviously means that there ARE people who care how perfect his New Year's Day was.

And the fact that you have commented twice, obviously means that you cared to go through the post.

And guess what? Maybe insecure is what YOU are. You cannot handle reading about people having picture perfect nights. It isn't like Reno invited us to read it anyway. But YOU came too ...
That say something?

TS said...

I have a strange feeling that you and I have a lot of people in common.

Mystique said...

after i read cyclop's comment i really really wish you'd let me put in all the stuff i did want to put in.you didn't wnt bitchiness but damn you're gonna get it.....

Renovatio said...

@jaguar paw
Thanks for the compliments, glad you liked it. I can't read you though, got a link for me?

@yet another
I really have nothing to say to you man, really.

@PNG
See I'm immune to all forms of mindfuck. I've developed an art form called 'mind fuck-ery'. It involves catching people completely off-guard and disorienting them. It's served to sharpen my reflexes, such as managing to convince a guy whose car I rammed backwards to care enough about me to not look at the damage on his car. For the record, it was his fault, he was coming up the wrong way on a one-way street. I just got off scott-free :p

@aurora
Dude, you're tiny. I have a friend about your height who insists I say 'petit', I tell her the same thing. Tiny.

@firewhiskey
Oh you've got plenty of time.

@vapid
Wow, now that caught me completely off-guard. You're more than entitled to your opinion, and you have my genuine and profuse apologies for any way I may have wronged you. This is my little space to un-professionally publish the little writing I do, and unfortunately this is the best I can come up owing to the amount of effort I have to muster to write. You're more than welcome to not read any more of my writing, and you're just as welcome to do so as well. I'll only request you to not indulge in any mud-slinging over here, as my email address is available, and I promise to reply to any and all criticism as soon as I can.

@thematrixwarrior
Aww, fair enough, I'll have to come up with another rush the next time these guys catch up with me.

@rohit
Thanks man, glad you liked it. I'm going to take the time to read yours properly at some point too, the explosion of color wasn't quite what I expected, and I was way too tired at the time to read. High beams and fog mess with your eyesight at the end of the day.

@zee
Well good thing it isn't eh? :p

@crazydiamond
No no, she wasn't on the balcony, the balcony was my own house, I met her at the party. Not very Bond, mind you, I don't have a watch that can render another man impotent with its seconds hand.

@cyclops
While I appreciate the vigor and vehemence with which you rose to my defence, I highly resent your choice of words. Again, I don't want to see this commentspace degenerate into mud-slinging, and I truly detest moderating what people have to say. You went too far, what you wrote was unacceptable, and you pushed me to remove it.

@anu
Thanks... was the title, 'perfect'? :p
I know, I know, Dawn, I got that, I was merely joking. My Hindi prowess isn't the most legendary. I wrote 'Aerosmith' on a cd in hindi, and I wrote the hindi 'A' backwards, and had a full 'S' and 'M'. So it came to (weird letter)rosumith.

@keshi
Oh come on.

@lehertara
Thanks for the kind words, I hope to continue to entertain. Do leave a link so I can read you as well.

@ts
Hit me with an email, let's see if you're right.

@mystique
Not if I can help it.

La Figlia Che Piange said...

Aaaaw, thats so sweet! Lucky you.

=D

Sig said...

argh! why didn't my comment post?? Anyways it was just a kudos to you for having a perfect New Years Eve. It made me wanna go "awwwwwwwwwww" for 10 minutes.

Here's to hoping that ur paths cross again and soon :D

risha; said...

that's not mind-fuckery, boy! that's pre-emptive action.

ask Bush. he knows all about that one.

Australis said...

Fuck you. I'm not tiny, I'm fun-sized. :P

Priyanka said...

Aww.

Renovatio said...

@anonymoose
I missed you last time around, sorry about that, thanks for stopping by.

@opaline
Welcome. Time will tell

@silvara
Finally, she comes out of her quiet rut. Thanks hon :p

@PNG
I'll have to explain it in detail soon. I sense a new blog post coming on...

@aurora
Lemme ask you the same thing I wonder about 'Fun sized' mars and twix bars. What the hell is fun about less chocolate? It takes like four of those to make a single bite for me man.

@priyanka
Yep, Awwwww :p And welcome!

risha; said...

I know what your post reminds of, now.
That episode in 'How I Met Your Mother'. The one where Ted meets the chick at the wedding and has his 'perfect night'.
Heh.

Ze Team said...

I just love the sound of the girl and adore the way you talk about her smile! You might already know it but just to reinforce it: you're great at character-sketches.

Just one thing is really, kind of, unbelievable. You drove a '68 Mustang and only obliged it with a COUPLE of lines!?! It surely deserves more than that! That must be SOME girl!

Renovatio said...

@PNG
You know, a friend of mine said the exact same thing when I told her about the night over the phone a day or two later.

@cold sake
Thanks for stopping by. See now while getting to drive a '68 Mustang that I get to name as well is huge, I'm utterly devoted to my beloved Aurelia, and no car in the world is going to garner more praise than that beautiful girl. You'll have to read previous posts to see what we've gone through together.

Australis said...

Fine. You win. Less chocolate is less fun. I am tiny. Happy?

But what about what they say - great things in small packages and all. :P

Renovatio said...

@aurora
Yes yes, great and stuff.

Still Searching said...

Aawww.. this is so cute!

And you like Merengue?! How cool is that! I learnt Merengue at a club in Delhi last year, all we did is do our Salsa steps in slow motion! Was great fun!

Anonymous said...

OK, the first time I see a cute guy (who writes intelligently) on blogger from New Delhi, and his heart is given to another woman already!

Alas my fate!