Sunday, December 30

Mihi quoque

Son of a mountain goat. I didn't think it was possible to pull an abdominal muscle. It is, sweet mother of Jesus's great aunt, it is. Blame the retard who decided to test if his leftover former endurance extended to his abs as well. Three (+ 3) sets of 30 reps on day one of abs was a bad idea.

Last Thursday was a bit of a strange day. I had turned Ralph off for the majority of the day as we were in the middle of a rather rushed couple of shoots; the semester's about done, and now everyone realizes that they have about seven pending assignments to get done. We took a quick break around 5:30 to get some food, soon after which I got a text from a former colleague telling me there was a rumor that Benazir Bhutto had been shot. Very, very soon after, it was all over the news, and from snatches of conversation all over Saket, Bhutto's name was audible. A few other people called seeking either confirmation, or to share the news, though in no ones' tone could I detect too much surprise or shock, and it seemed everyone had the same thoughts on the matter as I did; It was a matter of when, not if. The world has lost a brilliant leader, a strong woman, and a symbol of hope. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Bhutto, a woman who accomplished so much, and overcame immense adversity. While Pakistan's history hasn't exactly assigned a crystal clear plaque to Bhutto's reputation, it can't deny that she had the power to change her country, and had wielded that power in the past, and would have wielded it well in the future.

Christmas was a different experience as compared to the routine of finding myself cuddling someone gorgeous I had been following for the last couple of years, and it involved a Greek dinner the night before with an ex who resembled Shannyn Sossamon, a bit of a weakness of mine, and a big festive lunch at the house of my mother's jilted friend(her son-of-a-bitch husband left her for some Italian chick, leaving her to care for a three year old alone) where I met a Stephens professor who studied there with my Dad in the 60s, and had a lot of memories, and a lot of respect for him. Rather ironically, this fellow was the father of a kid who graduated the year after I did at my old (eleventh) school, and was the jilted husband of my French teacher at the school before it (tenth). He was running a part-time media course and was rather interested to know how we went about ours, and I just happened to have a mini-dv POS seated on Aurelia's back seat, and a tape I had taken a dump on(technical term, not what you think) the night before. Also, during a discussion with my sister about her inability to make sense of logic (the subject), he revealed that he had had trouble teaching a fellow I know well as the fat hairy music guy who called me 'Boy Band' for some reason and perpetually needed his workstation AND chair, no matter what I was working on, the same subject. Looking back to the times that guy made me get up and give him his chair in the middle of a busy day prior to an endless night shift, I'm not surprised at this fellow's lack of logic. We won't name this fellow, but this hint ought to help; he has an almost girl's name. And he's hairy and fat. And he does music stories. And I can't stand him, but I keep running into him at bars, and always shake his hand warmly, remembering a former colleague.

This new years, I deserve my ideal new years eve, one I've been attempting for the last six. It involves me, a water bottle, a locked door, and my six-and-a-half foot by six-and-a-half foot bed, with my room's landline disconnected, and Ralph off, having already sent new years messages out. Somehow, every year, those plans get screwed over. This year, when I told my roomies about it, they came to the conclusion that I was depressed, and have informed me that they're all going to be back in town by the 31st morning with a big carton of Guiness with my name on it, and enough of their piss-poor kingfisher to last them as well. Some of them were roared at the other day for not picking up the slack, and not having any basil on hand for a sandstorm, and are apprehensive about violating my new years eve plans, so there's the slight chance I'll get away with it this year after all.

You know how they say that the way you spend your new years is going to be the way the rest of your year goes? I want a peaceful year where I accomplish a lot. I'm going to try to kick it off by accomplishing a whole lot of sleep 31st night.

My sincerest well wishes to all you faithful readers, perusers and lurkers, and even you, strange anonymous stalker-guy-who-knows-way-too-much-about-me. Have a great year ahead.

21 comments:

Chandni said...

Well a perfect New Year Eve DOES involve a hearty dinner, a lot of sleep and ofcourse a switched off phone. I'm having mine. Yeehaha.

wiseling said...

ohh an end-of-the-year post.. i simply Must do one of those... sorry for not being online, one has been somewhat under-the-weather.. but i promise to try and give you a run for your money in the new year :P
good luck with your new year plans, hopefully they won't be cruelly hijacked the way mine were..

Anonymous said...

All the best my friend, and I wish you all the wealth, wine and women in the coming year.

I think I've identified your fat friend.

Mystique said...

happy new year and all that.....
benazir's death was a shock, even though i distance myself form the news as much as possible (it depresses me. pwhah.)
sigh.
hope your new year's thing works out..........I know mine won't...

Pri said...

disco and i wish aurelia and you the bestest new year!!!

five_silver_rings said...

Well its good to know that u like to explore the blog-o-sphere and read what others have written.. it inspires one to write more, doesn't it? It does for me at least... but yeah, I guess there are a lot of more memories to come my way and I look forward to them as I am sure, so do u (I hope!) :)
Happy new year

Anu said...

Dear person-who-had- an-amazing-new year,
the last discovery of the year.
glad i am.
affectionately,
lurker

Renovatio said...

@chandni
Welcome! Glad to see someone getting the day off that they wanted. :)

@wiseling
I have no money left, you've mugged me senseless in the last four games we played. I mean dual-bingos? Gah! End of year indeed, hence, 'mihi quoque'. Oh and they were hijacked, very much so, by two lovely ladies, a man who grows facial hair that resembles pubic hair, and a '68 Mustang.

@yet another
I'd forgotten all about that saying, you too.

@mystique
Hey, yours worked out, right? You got to be at the airport and all, just like you'd said you'd be? :D

@pri
Aurelia's not talking to me right now, I drove a '68 Mustang last night that I named Anastasio, an (male) Italian variant on the Latin Anastasius, or 'Resurrection', as the car's being restored at the moment. It still has ridiculous pickup.

@five silver rings
Welcome, 2008 ought to be a year full of memories. Make the most of it. :)

@anu
Indeed? Glad to hear it. Much love.

Keshi said...

U shall hv a beautiful and PEACEFUL 2008, HUGS! :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR Reno!

Keshi.

Sig said...

Reno!! Happy new year mate! I hope u had a good one and that 2008 brings u everything u desire and more :D

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock said...

so...... real small world with all the people you met and stuff ...
a perfect new year is one spent in peace certainly ....i spent mine in peace with my accounts book ...rather dozing off on it.....very peaceful it was !!!.....(that's peace three times over)
so a very happy and peaceful new year to you .....

- a faithful reader

p.s. aw... you broke aurelia's heart...

TS said...

Happy New Year.

Have a good one. And chase those dreams.

Espèra said...

Oh it totally IS possible to pull an abdominal muscle. But a chest muscle? Ever tried that?

When you think of it, sleeping the New Year's Eve away is better than drinking it away. Because, I'm sure you don't want a year full of hangovers.

five_silver_rings said...

No more posts up yet??
Hmpf!
Waiting for more.

Renovatio said...

@keshi
Thanks hon :)

@silvara
Thanks! About time you started updating again, I mean there's only so much of a post-marital break you're allowed love.

@bluebutterfly
Studying on new years is unaccetable. Board years especially. I made sure I was out then, of course I was in the company of men who sang 'The Reason', 'Lips of an Angel' and 'Comfortably Numb' while doing a strange squat dance with our arms around each other's shoulders those years.
Oh and we would occasionally face the direction of the women we were in love with too, the direction of their homes, literally mine was to the south of ITC, where we were, another's was in Noida, so he faced north, and all that. We would face those directions, point, and sing ever louder. Note: No one was drunk, we were honestly that ludicrous.

@ts
Thanks man, have the years of 'wander' ended for you too then? The chase now?

@awaiting (clever!)
Ah, well I did learn it after all, now didn't I.

@five silver rings
You're new here, yes? I am chronically bad at updating. Terribly so. Ask anyone here. People, let's hear it?

Anu said...

Indeed, ofcourse.

I love Lucy said...

And peace and quiet,you shall get!

Heres wishing you a wonderful new year,Reno :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy. And for another view on Benazir, read Dalrymple's oped in the new york times here -
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/opinion/04dalrymple.html?th&emc=th

Anonymous said...

oops - that's http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/opinion/04dalrymple.html?th&emc=th

Renovatio said...

@anu
Absolutely

@lucy-lover
Thanks!

@anony
Thanks for that, I'll check right away.