Tuesday, July 24

In Flames

I sit here on a system I purloined from my colleague, waiting, wondering, hoping that the one I was working on is alright. I suppose I overloaded it with the last render, but whatever I did, I caused the UPS to catch fire. Burned my thumb a bit too. Again, hopefully, it's alright.
It's being narrated in my voice entirely, they seem to like it, and I've been able to do a decent job with the editing, considering the footage they gave me. I've spent way too many hours in the last week and a half sitting in my 19 degree office working on this damn movie to see it go up in flames.


In flames.

My life changed with those flames, four years ago. Having just got back from Pakistan, one of the toughest and scariest but most memorable times of my life, a time I was forced to grow up a little too soon, with everything happening around. I was attending Woodstock school, for the rest of the year, away from my folks for the first time in my life. The customary six week period where we weren't allowed to meet any family starting on my 14th birthday behind me, I spent a weekend with them, where Dad treated me more like a man than the kid he'd always treated me as. I knew he had something he wanted to say, to tell me, but kept himself from saying it, until perhaps the next time I met him. Little did any of us know.
The following thursday, I was fumbling with a problem in Star Math, they all thought I was some stellar student, when I got called out of class. Wondering what the hell I'd done this time, I followed the peon out and was rather surprised to see my aunt as well as my sister at the office. I was a bit apprehensive, even more so when she said Dad had an elevator accident, but wouldn't say anything more. I went over to my locker, and grabbed a book for the ride home, thinking I'd need something to do while we sat around in the hospital waiting for him to recover. A few hours later, my uncle took us aside in the train and told us he was gone. It had been instant.

It took until the next morning for it to sink in. The next few days passed like a blur until I found myself at rishikesh wading knee deep in the river, pouring his ashes into it. I remembered carrying his body, lighting the fire below it, taking a stick and cracking his charred skull through the pile of logs. I remembered going back the next morning, to look at charred bones, all that was left of my Dad. I opened my eyes and found myself at the river again. I swore at that moment not to shed a tear, to be strong for my mom and sister, that Dad's strength would flow through me.
I found out over the rest of the week from newspapers that he was with RAW. That was what he had wanted to tell me in Mussoorie, the last weekend I met him, what he couldn't tell me in Pakistan because I was too young. The accident had happened in CGO complex, his own office. The lift had stopped, and he had tried to climb out, along with all the other senior officers, and gotten crushed when it started moving.
I numbed myself to everything around me, I strove to be the man Dad wanted me to be. I put my faith in love and love alone, just like Dad always taught me. Time and time again love kicked me in the balls, left me gasping on the ground, but I got up just the same, ready for it to find me again. Keeping myself strong, Dad's strength flowing through me.

Then came the book. Apparently some Major General had published a book on RAW once he retired that's been banned around the country, but we found a copy at Midlands. A chapter of the book was his own account of it, he was in the elevator with my Dad, and for the first time I got to hear exactly what happened to my Dad.

It's sapped the last of my strength, I've been absolutely empty, but the misery only came two sundays ago, when I found I couldn't talk about it, and I sit in my nineteen degree office from nine in the morning to nine, ten, eleven at night. Days my boss makes me leave early, I pack up the computer and get my buddy JD, who's staying over with us right now, to come pick me up, and I take the computer home and keep working from there. I don't know what I'll do once I finish these movies, I don't know how I'll keep myself busy then, but I need to do a great job of it.

31 comments:

Utopia said...

liked ur blog. life can be really harsh to some of us. guess we live and learn, learn that some things can't be turned around howeevr much we wish we could.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god.

You're his son? Wow.

I have to say, I'm proud of you for what you've managed to cope with. Continue to be strong my friend, keep your head held high, there are few men in the world more honest, genuine, and great to be raised by. You have all my respect and best wishes. I know for a fact your name will make a mark on this world, just like your father's did.

All the best my friend.

AakASH!!! said...

Agony, more personal than pain, shapes our lives with the perspective it provides. This Loss is unlike another feelings in transience, it comes back to haunt at any given moment, and tyhis is something i know.

I am bad at words when it comes to moments like this. But i hope you know what i mean.

Keep the faith!

Anonymous said...

Gosh that's so absolutely horrible.. except at least you the entire truth now, but I'm not sure if that's any comfort. I'm really sorry.

Spider42 said...

shit man.. thats one helluva tale youve got there..

i guess all i can says that lifes a bitch sometimes and sometimes a little too often... as i heard once, the good die young while the bad stay strong and outlive everyone..
its easy to believe that now more then ever, i know from having carried and cremated 2 amazing people i loved and buried a 3rd..
dont let life get you, youre stronger then it is if you choose to be, maybe thats the strength youre dad gave to you.. its easy to forget things and move on, but it makes you a better and stronger person to remember, come to terms with it and then move ahead with it in your heart and soul without the burdens and pain...
i hope that youll find your way out of this. in fact i think i do believe you will, i feel a will to live in you few carry...
take care dude..
cheers...

Anonymous said...

visited ur blog for the first time an am hit by the first post I ended up reading..

Isn't life a bitch soemtimes??

Ekta said...

unfortunately life is never simple and fair!!
Just hope god gives u the strength to cope with this and move on...emerging a stonger person

jugni said...

*lotsa hugs*

good luck with the footage.

hedonistic hobo said...

i'm sorry about your dad. my uncle just passed away recently under very tragic circumstances luckily for his kids none of them are as young as 14 but still, a parent's irreplaceable. dunno what else to say. i normally avoid questions of our mortality, the only opinion i have is that i'd hate to get left behind. but that's a foolish notion, there's always something to keep on keeping on for right?

DreamCatcher said...

Yes, it's going to take time and we must respect that....pain can make us bitter or better...its up to us to choose...

P said...

What does one say?
I agree with The Dude, I do believe you will find a way out of this! Be strong.

Anki said...

ur optimism is inspiring
u know u r the best
:D

LostLittleGirl said...

Hmmm. I've read that book because everyone made a big deal about it's 'insider' revelations. Seems weird...but personally I know that we all manage to get through everything that's thrown at us. Doesn't make you luckier..but stronger.

And your font is reallly small :)

Anurag said...

Hey man, came to comment on your blog after you left a comment on my post, but we'll save that one for some other time.

Must have been tough. I can't even imagine what you must have gone through...

Are you working on 3D animation? That's cool stuff.

Renovatio said...

@utopia
Welcome, you got that right.

@yet another
Yep, that's me. Thanks.

@aakash
Those words say a lot, thanks

@sc
I actually knew it in bits and pieces, but getting a first person account was something else.

@dude
Naa, I can't forget, I won't.

@chandni
You bet it is.

@ekta
I'm trying, I hope that's what it's made me.

@blow
Thanks, didn't lose anything, except perhaps access to your blog, meaney.

@hobo
You're right, we have our dreams and aspirations, and our loved ones to keep living for.

@dreamcatcher
Again, I hope it's made me a better person. Bitter it has, but I hope in a better way.

@perspective
I don't need a way out, and I have come to terms with it.

@anki
Thanks love...

@lostlittlegirl
I didn't bother reading the rest of it, that one chapter was more than enough for me. I always think about it when I drive past the cgo building to get between def col and lodhi, and even though I hate the building, something makes me pass it, everytime.

@anurag
Well buddy, I'm in the process of compiling my teachings on the narc for you, and I'll make a little series out of it, just for you :D
No, not animation, proper dv footage. I might take a bit and throw it up on this blog for all your viewing (dis)pleasure :p

I love Lucy said...

Loved your blog...and was touched by your post.

Its always hard to lose a loved one.And its worse to see a loved one in pain knowing that there is nothing you can do about it.

Hang in there :)

twip said...

What can I say that hasn’t already been said without sounding redundant?

To hell with my trepidations.

I am really sorry for your loss, I really am.

And hang in there, *hug*.

jugni said...

hee hee.. i promise to send an invite if you update soon! :D

Renovatio said...

@lucylover
You're right. Nothing at all I can do about it or change it.

@her prod-iness
Thanks, hanging :)

@blow
Oh you know how my updates go...

twip said...

I'm actually getting used to her prod-iness.

Damn you. :D

Anonymous said...

First-timer here.

Like your work - and your strength.

Renovatio said...

@her prod-iness
Oh don't damn me, damn Anurag for that one... and you'll find your link has you labelled quite the same way on the right side of the page :p

@vi
Welcome, I like to think that strength makes me more of who I am than a lot of other things. Thanks :)

Anurag said...

I'm still waiting for the DVD snippets, man.

BTW, I was traveling yesterday and came across the RAW book that you mention (I don't think it has been banned), and picked up a copy. I was going through it to realize how little I know about the history of the world that I live in.

Hope you are feeling better now.

Anurag said...

Her prodi-ness. :))

Bla said...

At first, when I read the title, I thought that your post is about the band "In Flames"... Thank God it wasn't. :)

Renovatio said...

@Anurag
Take a look to the bar on the right, I've made a blog to showcase my work, and I'll start adding to it real soon :)

@Bla
Welcome, can't say I've heard of them.

Anonymous said...

Waiting for more.

jugni said...

send em your email address at thepurplemadhouse@gmail.com and i shall send you an invite :D

jaded said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Labelled This And That said...

Found your blog a couple of days ago thru Scout's Blogroll...love the way you write...so was surfing thru the archives...

Sometimes, another's words become the candle in our hearts, that helps us find our own strength....thank you for writing

Renovatio said...

Thanks for your kind words :)