Friday, March 30

Bloody Mary...

To finally put an end to a seemingly endless day, one that began at seven in the morning and involved a failed attempt at getting my driver's license due to all the license-makers being out on election duty, which went on to a hassle-wrought shoot involving three guys cheering up their newly-single buddy by taking him out in the car for a 'singing-therapy' session, our final project for our sound unit that kept me in college until 6,and which will undoubtedly keep me there tomorrow too, for the edit...
Oh, except for the fact that three out of the four of us had upset stomachs and didn't have the inclination to do the last two shots, which would undoubtedly have kept us in college for another hour or so, so we have to carry the shirts we wore the previous day to ensure continuity in the shoot... but what about Sweaty? The big, salt-patch guy among us... is there continuity in the previous day's sweat-salt patches? and what about us... having to bear that... Yeach...
Now Sweaty's an annoying bitch... he causes the bottoms of cars to scrape the sainik farms speed breakers, a particular breed of speed breakers that are of abnormal height and refrain from any markings to distinguish them from the rest of the road. Speaking from experience, when I flew a foot off my other buddy's motorcycle gliding over one of those... luckily I landed back on the motorcycle... the same one... But I digress, I shouldn't bitch about Sweaty, I'm sure he hates me just as much, for not bringing a fourth spoon with my gelato the other day...
Now I'm a picky picky little bastard... I want each of my shots to look good, so bearing a bedroom in mind, I'll try to convert my classroon into one by moving around tables and tv trolleys, keeping random doors slightly ajar to resemble bathrooms, and fiddling with the tripod incessantly to get both the phone which my newly-single friend isn't allowed to make the call with, despite repeated attempts to pick it up and dial, oh and to avoid MEDIA written on the edge of the table.
Couple this with the fact that they decided to hand me the college's new hdv camera. Now this is a slightly complicated piece of equipment. Not only does the little whore have a wider screen, ensuring that even using a tele lens gives us much more of a frame to worry about, such as a lapel mic taped to the edge of the table, the fact that it's hdv means higher quality, so even if we could've ignored the lapel mic taped to the edge of the table before, this camera has to display it perfectly with all it's individual pixels and make it look beautiful... and so wrong placed on the edge of the table... well taped to the edge...
Don't get me wrong, I like the hdv... it's lighter than the pd 170 which runs dv/mini dv tapes(which the hdv does too, along with the nicer, sharper hdv tapes), has a wider perspective, something considered to be a good thing by most cameramen, well at least the ones who aren't still going to college and worried about how every inch of the frame in a 22 second clip looks, and it's got more options for playing with light, or well, a lack of light. This basically means we can throw open a window and not get the frame washed out, and we don't even need to make use of a light porta-kit, something our college's too damn cheap to afford. Unless they have one and don't want to give it to me... bastards...
To put the icing on the cake, our professor's this insane dude who used to handle sound for an independent film company, who hoots and screeches at random intervals for reasons unknown. Well to maintain sanity I tell myself he does it to keep us on our toes. This guy can't walk in a straight line, and will keep turning 60 degrees in a random direction while talking, expecting the person he's talking to to anticipate his choice of direction and keep up. The first time this happened, I was listening to him harp on about the benefits of final cut pro for editing over adobe premier, through an interesting analogy involving touching your nose. I noticed his voice to be getting softer and more distant for some reason as I walked straight out of the cafeteria, and upon turning around, noticed him to be walking towards the college parking lot, still talking to the space next to him he expected me to be taking up at the time. Of course the guy's brilliant. He might not know what each mic's called, but he knows everything there is to know about sound, and how to get certain sounds you want and how to cut out others you don't want. Of course he won't just tell you how to do it. He'll hint about it, and say oh you know, this mic cuts out ambient noise, but it also picks up engine sounds, and expect you to figure out that it's not a good mic for the cafeteria because of the motor attached to the water purifier. I like him for that. He gives us a whole lot of independence to work and figure stuff out for ourselves.
All in all, a good shoot. I can't wait to see the scene where we were all sitting in the crv with our camera mounted on a tripod in the boot of the car, with each of us singing an atif aslam number horrendously. Of course since we used both the singing mic and the lapel, something went wrong. Something I'll only find out tomorrow.
To bed I go, perhaps I'll drench my shirt in some deo overnight. Harping on about Sweaty, I might be there on a minor scale myself. Hell I don't leave salt patches, but it is really really hot...

Oh and Mary's our professor's ex-wife... he hates her... so he keeps calling the 'fucking ass computer, work' as he puts it so politely, a Bloody Mary. The man actually told me to change the mouse so he could work the 'Bloody Mary'. I didn't ask, and it took me a while to get it...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long time reader, first time commenter...
So you're already with a tv channel, I see you headed in a great direction, judging by how passionate you are with your work. The people in this field are nuts, all of them, and I'm sure you'll turn out quite nuts too, just make sure you work out things with the women in your life first. Judging by what you had to say, and what you haven't, you still love the oft-mentioned 'Her'. So figure that one out properly, win her back if you can, she seems to be a good influence on you.
I wish you all the very best the industry has to offer, and I'll keep a look out on this blog for more from you and your advances in the industry.
One last thing, you're right to stop yourself from bitching. It's the devilest thing to do to yourself.
Cheers!

Spider42 said...

oh man... i gotta tell you, you gotta post some shorter posts from time to time, otherwise theyll always be this psychotically long!

not that theres anything wrong, I enjoy reading em, but DUDE! LONG!!

Interesting one btw, laughed pretty hard at the sweaty commentary.

Anonymous said...

i'd meant to comment on this 1 actually
seriously i love the way u write and while this dude's right abt u writing huge posts, i think thats the best part about what u write, u're obviously not a man of few words- the anonymous guy's right, u're gonna make a difference, but seriously, get that chick back in ur life. while reading abt ur sadness reminds us all of our pain, we r all gonna love reading abt u when ur happy, so do something drastic, tell her u love her, or bring her to ur blog n make her read what we all have to say.. look honey, this guy's great... take him back!... i mean so many people love the way u write, even if its a lot to read, but we all come back because of the fact that we love ur writing...
ur an amazing writer man, a real treat to read, and im glad i found ur blog through kiss n blog... i'm gonna keep reading u
thanks for a good read pal and i'm looking forward 2 more
tc
-leo

Anonymous said...

Lots of anonymous bloggers responding here this post, and I do agree with K about yours being one of the best new blogs to come up lately, though I disagree about it being the pathos, just like the anonymous bloggers(my own self just as guilty) as well as your regular reader the dude here have to say, your writing is delightful, if a little on the long side. Just stick to electronic media, you'll end up committing creative suicide if you go into print. Not to mention the salary difference, but you don't strike me as the kind of person who that should bother. I don't know, just like the first anonymous guy says, you sound very reassuring as far as the face of future media goes.
Wow, I feel like I'm back taking notes for my pol science exams in my undergrad, citing all my sources and agreeing with everyone else commenting here :p
But I have to shout out to your beloved lady too, even though you had absolutely nothing to say about her here, I think we miss hearing about her. Is she still in your life?
Take care little buddy, I know I sound pompous and old, but unfortunately I feel it too.

Anonymous said...

Oh and would that nose touching analogy be the one where they say you touch your nose with fcp, but swing your arm through your thighs and around your head to touch your nose with premier? Just wait until you try the latest premier pro, it's a lot like fcp, but adobe still has a ways to go getting where mac managed.
Write more!
Cheers :)

Anonymous said...

whereve u vanished man, we miss u!
-leo

Renovatio said...

@anon1
Thanks for the kind words, I still have a long way to go, I'll keep all that in mind, especially not to bitch :p

@dude
Please, oh please, don't refer to it as 'sweaty' commentary... that makes my blog sound a lot more carnal than it actually is... and trust me, I'm not getting carnal regarding this guy anytime soon.
I don't write here as often as I ought to, in fact I checked my email just now for the first time since that last post, so I suppose the length of my posts compensates for that as far as I'm concerned... thanks for not complaining about the font size (whiney accusatory voice: "Hobo/Anki")

@anon2/leo
I suppose I ought to just promise to write here more often... fair?
and I am back, I suppose, I just decided that my last blogging break wasn't long enough... plus I got a tad swamped with time.

@yet another one
I plan to try out print at some point too, just to see how I work out... and yes, that was the exact nose touching analogy my crazy professor retold...