Thursday, November 29

My own blondi-ness

This was inspired by Keshi's latest post. I'm going to assume that you all know the Delhi area, and know what I'm talking about here. Also, beware the technical opinions thrown in, don't drift off too much when I get into my take on car modifying as I do return to the story on hand.

I'm quite crazy about driving, and driving fast at that, albeit maturely (all women in my life beg to differ). Upstanding Religious One started up this club for fellow car enthusiasts, with me a fairly administrative and public relations leaning co-founder, entitled 'Street Devils'. The members consist of 18-25 year olds, all of who've pimped out their cars with at least a giant exhaust and racing stripes, along with a few other engine and car body modifications. For the record, if you're looking to do something to your car, a two tone paint job looks absolutely horrid if you decide to add racing stripes to it. Don't do it. Really. The only color that goes well with black racing stripes is yellow on a sedan or hatchback, and red if you're driving a coupé. Also, gigantic exhausts are utterly punju if not coupled with a k&n (or equivalent) air filter, platinum spark plugs and exhaust tubing starting at the manifold to reduce the emissions and other crap the exhaust spews out. This also improves the mileage to about 16ish in Delhi traffic, up to a speculated 20 on highways.
My own beautiful Zen Aurelia being the only completely raw car, which still manages to keep up with the rest, is known by the other members, who sometimes misinterpret my decision to park her away from the others as aloofness, despite the fact that I always get out and join them, rather than the fact that I'm merely avoiding a worst case scenario of someone showing up and attempting to come coming to an abrupt stop in the midst of the rest, subsequently losing control and ramming one of the other cars. We usually meet up at a well known part of the city either at the crack of dawn or late night, and then drive down to the place we want to get to (often an empty strip of smooth road that can be used for drag racing, or 180s, by the more ambitious) in a long convoy of thirty or so cars with their hazards on and their engines screaming, a scene right out of the fast and the furious, or at the very least, the desi remake.

Last Sunday, we assembled outside the Moti Bag petrol pump around 6AM. We had acquired a gang of large surds in Civics and Santros, and while a large group of them attempted to get an Esteem with a weak battery and engine thingies too power-hungry for said battery going again(a vtec or something, I don't know anything about engines except how to disconnect and reconnect the acceleration), I grabbed a hold of one of the few fellows I knew by name, and decided to explore the immediate vicinity for food. Now being on a main road just shy of NH8, and a large Gurudwara nearby, there was no food to be found, except for the few Fererro Rocher I keep in my dash. Soon enough, we were off, to a cacophony of roaring engines and screechy tyres.
Now the rules state that everyone moves in a straight line, and I used to keep right at the back as I wasn't sure just how well my car would keep up with the rest, but our new members failed to pick up on this. As soon as we were off, they started overtaking each other, and the convoy became a jumble of cars, heading into highway traffic, albeit 6:45AM highway traffic. Not in a mood to get left behind or god forbid, lost, I bolted into the middle of the pack, and kept right behind a red Getz. At a red light, the Getz made it across, but this truck decided to cut the rest of us off. As soon as it turned green, I let two Esteems move on past as I wasn't entirely sure of the route to our final destination. Staying right behind those two, and with the remainder of the pack behind me, I spotted the red Getz a little ahead, and hit the gas to catch up with it, with the same two Esteems on my tail. For a few flyovers, the Esteems and some of the other cars were alternating my spot at the head of the pack, until at the end of a last flyover, the Getz took a left turn at the base of what I recognized as the 'Ship Building', in a wholly other region of NCR.
Taking a look in my rear-view, found the Getz I was initially following right behind me, along with the two Esteems, with a dozen other cars behind them, all distinguishable by blinking hazards and obnoxious carbon fiber skirting. Stopping on the side of the road, I inquired as to how we wound up in Gurgaon, when I was following the two Esteems. To my chagrin, the rest of the pack informed me that they had been following me, and had assumed I knew where I was going as I'm usually at the back of the pack. The newbies collectively turned tail and vanished without a word, leaving the rest of freezing our butts off, with the brilliance that is yours truly in naught but a white cotton shirt with three buttons open, and jeans.
A few phone calls later, a true 'Street Devils' convoy of eight cars set off, with the Beautiful Silver 2002 Zen that is known as Aurelia at the lead. The aforementioned Esteem with a weak battery broke off mid-way with a horrid green Matiz that was slowing down the pack in tow, wishing for the rest of us to fare well by cellphone, and four of the remainder took what they assumed was a shortcut. Reports claim they found themselves in Mayapuri, wherever the hell that is. One sole Esteem, blue and silver with horrid mismatched navy racing stripes remained behind me, true to my leadership, as I wound my way through a largely abandoned Dwarka, until I successfully reached the club's point of continuation, Sector 12. Upon arrival, we were to discover that the rest of the club had dispersed minutes before, as a bit of a tiff broke out when one of the Sardars attempted to wash the cars of some of the Street Devil vets as a sign of assumed goodwill, while the owners of said cars were doing the bhangra with our new members in the middle of a circle of cars in a bonding ceremony. It is assumed that one of the vets didn't take too kindly to said Sardar's kindness.
The esteemed Esteem owner that had remained under my leadership and I parked on the side of the road, and began our own bonding ceremony, one that involved a ceremonial driving of each others' cars, and much over appreciation of the handling and acceleration. We then sat in Aurelia's cockpit, chilling to the acoustic hits of Dave Matthews and Alanis and imbibing great quantities of banta we had managed to acquire off a fellow in a stall on one of our rounds in a foreign car. When we finally got the phone call marking the end of the meet, the two of us weaved through Dwarka-Dhaula Kuan-Ring Road-Saket traffic, very nearly avoiding accidents with the same cars in the process. Now that's bonding I say.
Finally, we made it to the 24-7 in PVR, where we, with the remainder of the Street Devils gang, attacked their hot dogs and freshly baked croissants with gusto. I also finally got my music system's rear speakers' bass and treble properly configured.

Now here's the fun part. Here's where you get to join in. I know there's more of you who just like me love a good, fast, smooth drive. Send me a mail at renovatio@streetdevils.co.in, and I'll let you in on the fun. I know Street Devils is a horrid name, but it is (slightly) better than the last club he founded. I'm in the club more out of support for my buddy than any true need to drag race. At the very least, you'll be able to get very lost with me, and we can bond over banta and Alanis Morisette.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's how you know it's a real club. It has its own e-mail domain.

Rock on with DMB and Alanis. Make sure you add some Goo Goo Dolls in there, too, though.

Keshi said...

LOL u speed demon!


**I inquired as to how we wound up in Gurgaon, when I was following the two Esteems. To my chagrin, the rest of the pack informed me that they had been following me, and had assumed I knew where I was going as I'm usually at the back of the pack.

hahahaha! And with scant clothes OMG.

btw ur inviting more ppl to the so-called FUN? I'd like u to avoid freezing again ATLEAST ;-)


Keshi.

CrazyDiamond said...

sweet...respect mate!

I used to participate (well, participated once) in a drag in my bangalore days (bangalore's cool that way, starting these things that is). Loved the meeting up in the night, having coffee afterwards and the bonhomie, more than the racing.

say hey to aurelia.

Mystique said...

ni-ice......
you know, you COULD have looked at the esteem's licence plate before following it into gurgaon....haha!

and who goes out in freezing delhi in a cotton shirt?!?

Anonymous said...

Alanis! <3 ;)
My husband likes to drive too fast as well, I pray for you both. :D j/k!

Hope you have fun in your racing club!

Anonymous said...

If i was in delhi i'd have joined the club :D

??! said...

halfway through that, I suspected what was going to happen. Knowing your brilliant navigational skills, that is.

Renovatio said...

@vi
Oh the hell we went through to get the domain too, and there's still no proper site set up, just a front page...

@keshi
I don't usually feel cold, 6am cold is something else though... But the inside of the car was rather wam.

@crazydiamond
I lost your link man, good of you to stop by again... Let me know next time you're in town, never hurts to have visiting members who know their way around a car.

@mystique
It was pretty dark when all the cars set off, and it was a Getz... Oh and the one I followed into Gurgaon had a double barrel exhaust too, if not the Street Devils bumper sticker...

@anty
Look, it's safe... everyone goes from perched on the edge of the passenger seat to whoops of joy at their first burnout.

@xeres
Come soon I say, I know the club would do well with women. I just want to see some of these arrogant bastards lose to a woman :D

@the expletives
I like to use the word 'stellar'; my stellar navigational skills. I was just blindly following the damn car man, I was more worried about my worn clutch plate, the damn clutch was tighter than I like and squeaking for some reason.

Bla said...

Speed! Gimme what I need! Yeah!

:)

Anonymous said...

I did see a titchy little silver Zen slip past 2 Innovas in the last instant of a yellow light at that Khel Gaon flyover during peak traffic hour. The driver had a pony tail and seemed to be approaching lying down in his seat. So that's what Speed Devils teaches you?

Anonymous said...

I'm curious now, is there an upper age limit, or is this dog just too old to learn new tricks?

My dear man Bla, I don't think you'd care much for speeding here in India, the road speed limits and the speed limitations car manufacturers leave us with don't compare to Bulgaria. We have a 50km/h limit.

Anki said...

its unsafe and lame
those 2 kids just died in a bike race thingy

cut out this punju street devil thingy

:P

Anki said...

why the hell am i ok ok fine the trenchless people bleah

u super bleh

Shoonyata said...

Old story: small town...similar gang...many trips on the edge of speed...out-of-town girls visit.. boys show off...one guy drives thru a bus stop...old mandead/a beautiful 16 yearold with cracked pelvis...on the lap bleeding to hospital...longest 20 min in life.

new story: middle of night, all alone speed...as long as no alcahol, no group to show -off.

Renovatio said...

@bla
I really want to learn to speak Bulgarian now.

@yet another
Doubtful, my clutch plate's completely gone, so no fancy stunts from my end. I did try to get my mum to start double clutching and braking, but unfortunately she still has trouble not double parking. I suppose it's hard to start doing new things habitually if you've been driving the same way for years and years.

@anki
We're careful hon, in fact we're so careful about how we drive, we sometimes miss the turning and end up in the wrong part of NCR.

@shoonyta
Middle of the night or at some ungodly hour of the morning to avoid traffic, and no alcohol, only juice, coke and banta. I see to that personally. We love driving on smooth roads, so we seek out those smooth roads. There's rarely ever more than three or four races total, people end up getting sick of it and prefer to stand around and talk about how well they drive. Oh and for my part at least, I hate drags. It's basically punishing your engine. Safety first I say.

Keshi said...

thats not too bad then.

Im the same..I dun feel the cold all that much. well thats cos Im such a warm-hearted chick u see ;-)


Keshi.

Australis said...

Do you also have hot girls in tiny skirts and midriff-baring tops, using scarves as flags to signal when you should start driving? I can just hear a soundtrack in my head then..."I wonder if you see, how they live in New Delhi..." :PPP

Occasional Brilliance said...

"...a scene right out of the fast and the furious, or at the very least, the desi remake."

hw i wish i wd dr!!! sigh!!!

wiseling said...

i have nothing profound to say. just want to say hello. make my presence felt, etc.

Renovatio said...

@keshi
I would've gone with 'hot chick', but ah well...

@aurora
*sigh* If only...

@bubbles
There's always next time...

@wiseling
You're missed hon.

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock said...

reading it .. the only thing that popped into my mind as you have said is a desi remake of fast and furious ... without the furious part .... and completely ignoring the part about cars engines and blah blah ... real nice stuff about the "journey"
reading about your aurelia i am reminded of those days when my dad used to get up every sunday morning to give our "beloved golden zen" a coat of shine, clicking his tongue over the smallest scratch and then running his hand over the car as if almost apologising .... lol .... (shaking my head )
anyways best of luck with the "street devils" .....



p.s. - the human tetris video thingy ....it was fun . as for the amazing race ... if i ever get into it and if theres a roadbloc like that of the video thingy i am calling you for backup....

Utopia said...

hahaah! well that kinda sounds familiar. no firstly i don't drive but i live with someone who does and she tries her antics a little too often. i wud have loved to join the club and get lost while listening to alanis morisettee hehehe!
this one time my crazy flattie was in a bad mood and she wanted to drive bad just to piss her best friend off and man what a drive it was trying to overtake those huge trucks on chirag dilli flyover.to top it all we were so inebriated. i could see my life flash past by my eyes heheh! and finally our friend made her stop in the middle of the road and screamed and screamed and i got back home safe.

Renovatio said...

@bluebutterfly
We had this little pre-documentary exercise, where we'd shoot the just a vague intro sequence to a documentary on a person. My friend did one of me involving me washing Aurelia, with my myriad of car care products laid out on top of the car while I worked. I wash my car every morning after gym and before college, and give her a very thorough wash with all the car 'product' on the weekend.
I also very nearly strangled a motorcyclist this afternoon because he tried to cut across me horizontally in the middle of heavy Saket afternoon traffic (I was trying to grab a quick bite in the middle of a long shoot), and I couldn't brake in time. He was apologizing profusely for having me ram him, but the damage was done. I have a broken orange thingie at the bottom of my bumper, which must be replaced asap. I actually keep my tripod in the back seat of the car rather than the boot to use on such car-bashing bastards.

@utopia
Unfortunately, the only place you're going to get any Alanis is within the confines of Aurelia. Every other car present has the nasty habit of 'thumping' with some ridiculous hip hop or angry-angsty-deathsie-arghh-fuck-you music. I'm personally strongly against driving while not completely aware, and I've often stopped off at a friend's place in the middle of the day for an hour-long nap if I hadn't got any sleep the night before and was afraid of falling asleep at the wheel.
You're in Delhi right? Get in touch, we'll have you along for the next one, though it's not before Jan, the big December one's a road trip to Shimla. It's mostly for me, since I wasn't in the mood for a party, and the people in my life refuse to accept staying at home in bed as an adequate use of new year's eve. That said, it involves more of the kind of people I care about, the majority of Street Devils present only to make my buddy happy, and give him the sense the 'club' is getting 'it' or something on. That is kind of odd though, last I checked there were two a month. Hmm.

wiseling said...

Hey, I'm an Aquarian too.

Zee said...

good god!!!!!! be careful

Anonymous said...

Got lost and ended up here.
Just wanted to say your profile is one of the more entertaining ones I've read.

You must have a life though, you don't post enough...

Keshi said...

**I would've gone with 'hot chick'

its ok u can say that again. LOL!

Keshi.

Utopia said...

hmmmm so the only place i could hear alanis wud be aurelia :). u actually going to shimla on a road trip for new years? btw how am i supposed to get in touch wen ur profile doesn't have any semblance of an e mail id or the likes of it?

Anonymous said...

Hope you're doing well my friend...

Keshi said...

where r ya?

Keshi.

Pri said...

write betch

Renovatio said...

@wiselet
I love water. That had to be the most useless reply in the world, but I'm drawing blanks here.

@zee
Always. Driving like a jackass is a mix of three things. Experience, instinct, and balls.

@batbitch
Welcome, I've made several mis-clicks myself and wound up in places I'm glad I did. Hope to see you around more.

@keshi
Oh well, fine I will. Hot chick :p
Oh and peekaboo. Stuff came up :p

@utopia
I really wonder how that's working out, we haven't really discussed it, even though we see each other almost everyday. There's a chance I'll have my ideal new year, one that involves my bed, me, and a ton of sleep. I'm often denied that one. :(
Oh and I did rectify that, but you could've done what the rest did, emailed on the club id :p

@yet another
Absolutely peachy.

@pri
Fine, fine.

Sam said...

ah!! i love this idea... :D
btw, was wondering just how many KM did u drive taht morning??
anywyz, am more or less a rookie driver who makes sure other cars stay the hell out of my way :P and scare the speed demon of a roomie out of his wits!! :D
but, hope to be good enuf to get along with u someday!!
btw, i do like the name street devils.. was part of a bike grp here "wolfpack" :)