Saturday, February 24

Sleep...

... or lack thereof
I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks...
These last few days, I've either been fretting over my exam which I have trouble studying for since the bloody accident, or else I'm thinking about the woman I still love, or else I just ache and the painkillers aren't doing their job.
A few days ago, the doc prescribed some ADD medication to get me to sleep, and just as I was falling asleep, my dog decided that his stomach had just about had it and proceeded to crap a slushy mess all over the bathroom floor, a scent(stench?) which can be quite overpowering upon waking up. I was shaken awake, tossed a shirt and thrown out with the dog, to get him to get the rest of it out, but the dog was only too happy to walk a few steps, look at me, and reassure me that he'd got it all out IN the house. Now this is an almost 6 year old part lab, part newfoundland, a good 45 kilos and pretty well potty trained, so his stomach must've really been awful for him to leave that lovely mess.
The last few months I'd been getting the best sleep of my life. I would talk to my beloved late into the night, and put her to sleep listening to voice, and keep talking softly until I heard her breathing change until I knew she was asleep. On waking up, I would call her, and hear the most beautiful sound I knew, her adorable morning grumbling about waking up. Those days, I had great hair days, and knew nothing could possibly go wrong. Come to think about it, the day I got hit, I hadn't spoken to her, so maybe fate was telling me not to let her slip out of my life.
Finally, I got a "Please go to sleep, for me" from my love, and I had no choice but to obey, so I managed to clock in about 3 hours of fitful sleep both nights I received those instructions, but no more than that.
Now my uncle's been over. I don't know what prompted him to come see me from dehradun, but he felt it was his responsibility to hover over my bed and wait for the exact moment at 10 in the morning that I was just falling asleep, and then shake me awake to take my meds, or else to eat something, or some other inane thing. When he asked me why I wasn't sleeping at night now, considering I wasn't in so much pain, I was just bursting to reply "Because you fucking snore so loud", but I held it in, for now.
I usually sleep in my boxers, but since the uncle was sharing my bed, I wore tracks, but refused to wear a shirt at night. Last night, when I got into bed around 2, he started snoring, and I distinctly remember taking that shirt that I wasn't wearing, and flicking his face with it. I know it wasn't a nice thing to do, and
to quote abhishek bachan, "It felt good", but at least he stopped snoring long enough for me to fall asleep.
I'm not exactly well rested right now considering I was up by 6, but at least I got a few hours of sleep in, and now that he's gone back to dehradun, I should get a decent night's sleep, finally. If no one decides to call at 1:30 that is... no wait, I'm just going to turn my phone off.
Sleep well people, dark circles don't suit everyone... at least not me.

7 comments:

Renovatio said...

There hobo dear, a much shorter post... Just use that ctrl and scroll trick to increase the font size :p

wiseling said...

hehe... i used to do the same thing to my roommate, and she would usually stop long enough for me to fall asleep.. but once she actually woke up and she was pissed! needless to say, i was treated to several interesting forms of revenge!

Spider42 said...

well, it seems that im no longer the only insane insomniac around!

there was a time not too long ago that i seemed to be the only one barely sleeping (for various reason, sometimes my fault and others, not) but now more and more it seems folk are finding it harder and harder to grab some shut eye...

well, hope you managed some my friend...
cheers!

K said...

Join the Club. You know something, for whatever reason (maybe the pathos) yours the first decent new blog I've read in ages.

Anki said...

up-cummer... i dunno why that cracked me up!!! good luck wt the insomnia... been there n it seemed like forever... phewwwww

Renovatio said...

@wiseling
Hey, whatever works for you :p

@dude
I used to be an insomniac... now I'm just not...getting enough... if any... if you can see the difference?

@k
Thanks, though for my own sake, I hope it isn't that which makes you enjoy reading... don't know how much more of that I'll be able to take :p

@anki
up-cummer? Did I miss something?

wiseling said...

@renovatio: i believe anki was refering to [Occupation: Story-comer-upper with a channel] from your profile...